Position Title: Executive Director
Location: New York, NY (with flexibility)
Reports to: NVF President
Hours per week (average): 40
Overtime Status: Exempt
data.org is a platform for partnerships to build the field of data science for social impact (DSSI). The Executive Director will oversee strategic growth, organizational operations, partnerships, advisory board engagement and grant making for data.org. The role requires an experienced, entrepreneurial, charismatic, collaborative and thoughtful individual who is capable of engaging on a global stage and mobilizing leaders across industry, civil society and foundations – all in the pursuit of shaping a movement that leverages data science to tackle far-reaching, global challenges.
Launched in January 2020 and building on an initial five-year, $50M commitment from the Rockefeller Foundation and Mastercard, data.org envisions a world that uses the power of data science to help solve society’s greatest challenges and improve lives across the globe. Since its launch, additional funders and technology companies have committed to joint projects and investments, and data.org has been established as an independent initiative with secure funding for staff, operations and programs.
data.org will operate as a platform for partnerships driving three strategic pillars of work: 1) proving the case for DSSI by funding and sharing successful examples of how data science can effectively address complex social problems; 2) strengthening the capacity of people and organizations to leverage data science for social impact; and 3) establishing a public commons to deliver a set of open-sourced goods (products, tools, insights, etc.) that transform the social impact ecosystem.
The Executive Director will be an experienced, and collaborative team-builder, a leader with an entrepreneurial mindset who possesses strong oral and written communications skills and is sensitive to the needs of various stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be excited by new challenges and be ready to help shape data.org into the premier platform for collaboration around data science for social impact. The candidate will be familiar with the global artificial intelligence and data science landscape and be able to successfully work with stakeholders, partners and the advisory board to set clear goals for the organization and implement action plans that systematically achieve them.
The ED will be the face of the organization and the ambassador for its field-building mission. S/he will be responsible for promoting thought leadership to a global audience, using data.org as a platform for convening senior leaders from a network of mission-aligned organizations to create powerful partnerships for turning ideas into action. The ED will have an established reputation of competence, thoughtfulness, vision, and leadership across multiple sectors and stakeholders within and outside of the U.S.
The ED will lead the data.org team, building a culture of excellence, efficient execution, and meaningful collaboration. S/he will manage a lean, nimble team that can respond to opportunities with agility and adapt as the landscape changes. The ED will be accountable for developing high-value partnerships, setting and resourcing workplans to meet strategic objectives, and enhancing the performance of the organization.
● Shape and drive the mission, vision and strategy for the organization, working with the advisory board to set clear goals and action plans to systematically achieve them.
● Elevate the work of data.org and its partners and establish the organization as a leading voice and venue for using data science to achieve social impact.
● Identify partnership and funding opportunities, frame potential projects, develop proposals, plan and close required resourcing and commitments and manage execution to results.
● Cultivate excellent relationships with the media and other influential platforms.
● Position data.org as a convener of thought leaders and key stakeholders to build the field of data science for social impact.
● Build and effectively manage a high-performing team and play an active role in attracting and retaining talent.
● Develop productive working relationships with a broad network of collaborators, media and other influential platforms.
● Work with the advisory board to ensure that communications are streamlined, well-organized, and up-to-date regarding progress on data.org priorities and other relevant organizational matters.
● A minimum of 10 years of professional leadership experience working at the intersection of technology and social change.
● Familiarity with the current state of data science and artificial intelligence in academia, industry, government and civil society – in the US and internationally.
● Advanced degree preferred, ideally in a field requiring multi-disciplinary thinking.
● Partnership and Relationship Building: Experience building productive partnerships and working with senior leaders in industry, civil society and funding institutions. Experience representing an organization’s brand and value proposition to attract and develop partners, interpersonal relationship abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, strategic partnership building. Empathetic to different partners’ cultures and working styles and able to create bridges between the two.
● Leadership and Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication abilities; exceptional listening, written and verbal skills. Able to translate between different sectors and disciplines. Equally comfortable advising senior levels of management as well as guiding and collaborating across all levels of an institution.
● Strategic Ability: Ability to see opportunities, design innovative and creative approaches backed by strong analysis and planning. Strong sense for messaging, themes and techniques that can be clearly articulated to partner with and influence others including government, business, and the media.
● Execution: Strong project management skills, deadline management, decision making, sense of responsibility and accountability, and the ability to effectively multi-task. Ability to manage staff, vendors and contractors to ensure timely, high-quality work product. Can spot and manage risks appropriately.
You may be at a large organization looking to make a switch and have global impact or you may be experienced in entrepreneurship looking to bring your talents to a social good mission. We welcome applicants of all experiences and backgrounds to apply.
This full-time position will ideally be based in New York, but we will consider flexible arrangements.
The data.org team also knows that great candidates can bring skills we have not thought of, and who will not fit everything we have described above. If this is you, please do not hesitate to apply, and tell us what unique contributions you can offer. A strong track record will go far in our eyes.
For more information visit: www.data.org
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. All interested candidates should send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will be automatically disqualified. Because we are a small team, we regret that we can only respond to applicants selected for an interview.
data.org is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.